POSITION SUMMARY: BASIC FUNCTION
Responsible to manage the delivery of all Construction Projects in North and South America.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible to directly manage all facets of project delivery (precon, budget, schedule, procurement, quality, safety & risk) for Data Centers including planning, design progress and scope management, construction, commissioning, occupancy, and closeout.
- Report to the VP of Construction and manage a team of Project Managers, MEP Managers, and Equipment Managers. Provide direction to team members, manage team performance, and provide development plans and resources.
- Work in concert with Cost and Project Controls teams in Sacramento and at the jobsites to ensure projects are delivered predictably and using Earned Value and Quantitative Risk Assessment tools.
- Preparation of Contractor and Supplier scopes of work, project delivery resource requirements, cost estimates & budget management, work plan schedule & milestones, quality control, and risk identification.
- Implement consistent project documentation governance aligned with company requirements. Ensure project data integrity and documentation is accurate, timely and coordinated. Track and report progress of the project against goals, objectives, approved budgets, and approved timelines.
- Report status and variances. Create action plans to meet objectives, budget and schedule. Implement change management routines to assess change requests, make recommendations, secure RDC approvals, and issue change orders.
- Assesses change requests to determine impacts to scope, budget, schedule, quality and risk. Demonstrate the ability to identify project risks, develop risk mitigation and contingency plans, and implement action plans to reduce or eliminate project risks.
- Validate that drawings and specifications accurately reflect the desired construction quality. Provide constructability reviews and VE into design process. Interface directly with RDC stakeholders to define the project requirements.
- Support preconstruction activities to ensure consistency across all projects
- Ensure all field installations are in accordance with the design
- Demonstrated capability to read, understand and apply standard to moderately complex documents affecting Data Center projects, including but not limited to: agreements/contracts, leases, work letters, project charters, surveys and drawings.
- Ensure all equipment is specified to be available, and constructible. Manage equipment quality including review of Specifications, bid analysis, PO's, Submittals, FWT, freight/logistics, care/custody, protection, installation, startup, field services, and commissioning.
- Continually innovate construction supply chain and delivery to improve ROIC (Return on Invested Capital) and TTM (Time-to-Market).
- Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Must have a proven background and demonstrated expertise in large-scale Data Center construction.
- Experience as a people manager, managing performance and development of employees. Experience in managing Contracted services in lieu of FTE's.
- Familiarity with Tendering and Contracts. Ability to develop quality scopes of work and scopes of service, development of detailed bid forms for fees, GC's, products and product features.
- SOW. Experience in developing contracts and familiarity with contract risk and management provisions (e.g. Notice, LoL, Indemnities, weather provisions, Insurance & Bonding, etc)
- Proven leadership in construction safety
- Experience with Project Controls, including predictive tools e.g. EVA and QRA's. Comprehension of critical-path schedule development, management of trade performance and productivity
- Proficient with computers to include the utilization of Microsoft programs such as Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook. Working knowledge of Primavera and Oracle Unifier a plus.
- Strong executive presence - able to convey complex and technical concepts to a non-construction audience. Articulate and excellent communicator at C-Suite and BOD levels.
- Able to work in a team environment. Even tempered and able to work through conflict with others
- Flexible and willing to consider others ideas
- Manages stress and/or fast-pace effectively.
- Excellent communication and problem-solving skills.
- Willing to travel up to 50% of the time for jobsite visits, source visits, and Construction Operations Reviews.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- BS in Engineering or Construction Management with an extensive career in building complex industrial facilities. MBA is a plus.
- >10 years leading construction of industrial facilities
- >5 years' experience in the data center industry
- >5 years' managing people
- Familiarity with construction sites and hazards and ability to navigate project sites safely and in control
- Primarily sitting with some walking, standing, and bending.
- Able to hear and speak into a telephone.
- Close visual work on a computer terminal.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers to operate any required computer keyboard, mouse, and other technical instruments.
- Able to lift and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Able to climb a ladder and work on a raised platform.
- 50%: Standard office; Data Center environment with varying temperatures and loud noises; extensive daily usage of workstation or computer.
- 50%: Construction jobsite at various levels of development
- Travel up to 50% of the time. May require higher percentage of travel for shorter periods of time